Scheduling “chill time” into my busy routine.

One thing I am absolutely terrible at is relaxing. Taking time out to chill, to read, to watch telly, to just sit down. I am useless at it, as I have this really annoying trait that I must always be busy and must make the most of every single minute in every single day. I don’t know whether it stems from being incredibly lonely in my first year of university and wanting to always keep busy in order to not overthink when I’m alone, or just the fact that I feel incredibly guilty if I’m not doing something that will benefit me in some way, I am always doing something.

IMG_0784

Today, for the first time in what must be months, I decided not to rush to get ready after my morning gym session in order to head out for the day, and instead I’ve sat with my laptop on the sofa for the last hour or so, and am enjoying catching up on little life admin jobs and just resting for a change.

I feel as though I have this weird FOMO, not the type that I used to get when all my pals were heading on a night out and I’d force myself to have a Saturday night in (now it’s the opposite, where I’m jealous of people getting an early night and sitting in their pjs if I’m out on the town!). But it’s a feeling that there is so much to do and see and that I must go out and do it all. It also probably stems from the fact that I love being outdoors and taking photographs and being busy in general, but it often leaves me feeling completely exhausted and I’m then burning the candle at both ends as I try to make long work hours, working out, socialising and meeting friends, blogging and Instagram, and doing general life admin and looking after my flat work. I’m tired just thinking about it.

That’s why, over the last few weeks, I have decided to schedule me time into my routine, and while I used to hate being alone I am now relishing in the quieter moments where I can sit back and relax a little. I make sure I allow myself a night or two after work, in which to just work out and spend time in the flat, reading, writing, or just watching TV and while it’s hard to get accustomed to, I feel as though it’s working.

IMG_0839

Taking time out is something we shouldn’t feel guilty about. It’s self care and it’s as important as being healthy or focusing on your career. It’s good to indulge in a little Netflix binge every now and again, or to spend an hour or two ignoring your phone and just reading in the sunshine.

I’m never going to be one of those people who is happy mooching around the flat all day. I love being out and about, spending time with friends, going for walks and adventuring far too much. But it’s good to take a break every once in a while, and making time for it is the way it works for me.

1. July 7, 2019 / 10:14 am

I’m exactly the same! I don’t think I could ever just stay in my flat all weekend, and if I’m not out of my flat early, I feel like I’ve already wasted my morning and I don’t like it haha! Sometimes, I accidentally sleep in and then I wake up late and I’m mortified. But you’re right, living life constantly on the go (no matter how much you enjoy it) just isn’t sustainable and we all probably need to schedule in so ‘me’ time every once in a while!

Soph x

• jessieann48
      Author
      July 12, 2019 / 12:03 pm

I’m exactly the same. I’m always out and about, and even if I am in the flat I’m tidying or rushing back and fore haha. I find actually scheduling in time to relax helps! xx

2. Erin
    July 7, 2019 / 11:09 am

Just wow it looks incredible! I love the different coloured buildings – it is so cute!

Erin || MakeErinOver

• jessieann48
      Author
      July 12, 2019 / 12:02 pm

Its my favourite place 🙂 xx

3. July 12, 2019 / 10:26 am

Such stunning snaps here.Love the advice here, we all need to schedule more down time into our routines!!
    Charlotte-Nichole
    x

• jessieann48
      Author
      July 12, 2019 / 12:02 pm

Thank you so much – I totally agree! xx

4. July 17, 2019 / 12:04 pm

I totally agree, taking time out isn’t something we should feel guilty about. Its definitely something we should practice more often, our bodies deserve it!

Lucy | Forever September

• jessieann48
      Author
      July 28, 2019 / 12:53 pm

Yes our bodies totally deserve it! xx

5. July 21, 2019 / 7:11 pm

I definitely struggle with this too Jessie – when did we have to become so focused on doing it all! I find I have to be strict with myself now, I don’t like to be on my computer/laptop past 9pm so I can do the little things like watch Love Island, read a book or just enjoy some time in a bubble bath. I think the more time I’ve given to chill time, the more books I’ve read and the more relaxed I feel before work in the morning so it has its benefits :).

• jessieann48
      Author
      July 28, 2019 / 12:53 pm

I definitely agree that unwinding before bed is so important. I am trying to read before bed too instead of spending so much time on my phone! xx

6. July 22, 2019 / 10:32 am

There truly is value in the quieter moments when we can stop and reflect. Glad you found some time to schedule “me-time”!

That place looks gorgeous, btw!

• jessieann48
      Author
      July 28, 2019 / 12:54 pm

Thank you! It’s a beautiful place – it is Tenby in Pembrokeshire. xx

• jessieann48
      Author
      July 28, 2019 / 12:52 pm

I totally agree, and thank you so much! xx

7. July 26, 2019 / 2:00 pm

Downtime is so important I cannot stress this enough, that’s how we absorb life and all that it has to offer when we just sit back and look 🙂
    Laura xo

• jessieann48
      Author
      July 28, 2019 / 12:52 pm

I completely agree. I’m still working on it but I do find I am improving! xx

8. August 1, 2019 / 3:29 pm

I think it’s so important to make time for some chill time in our busy schedules. Also the photographs here are all gorgeous.

Have a great weekend 🙂