5 ways to save money whilst enjoying life.

This month I really put one of my ultimate 2018 goals into practise, and started seriously looking into buying a place of my own and saving for a house. It’s probably the most “adult” thing I’ve done, and it really is so, so exciting to think that maybe this time next year I’ll be sat typing up a blog post in my own home.

It’s also time to seriously knuckle down though, and to start saving big time. I’ve been saving what I can here and there for a few years, but now that it’s crunch time I’m really starting to make some changes to my spending habits in a bid to speed things up a bit. That said, however, at just 24 years old I still want to have a bit of a life. I want to be able to go out for food or drinks with the girls and not feel guilty for spending a little cash, and I still want to put a little aside to go away in the summer.

So here are just five ways I’ve changed up my spending and have saved in the process. They’re such easy changes that can be made, whether you want to save for your own place, a holiday or just want a little cash left over for a rainy day. And you can still enjoy life to the fullest in the process…

1. Take your own lunch/snacks to work

I’ve been doing this since January and it is absolutely insane how much money I have saved. I used to buy lunch at work each day, which consisted of a sandwich, crisps and a snack or two that would cost around £6 a day – that’s nearly £30 a week on lunch, which is usually around the price of a weekly shop for me and Dan! Now I take my own packed lunch, filled with snacks to keep me going throughout the day, and it means I’ve been so much healthier too.

2. Look for discount codes

I love dining out, and I love shopping, and while I have dramatically cut back on eating out and buying clothes over the past few months or so it’s still nice to have a treat every once in a while. The main thing I’ve done is to always look for a voucher for meals out, and it’s amazing how much you can save. I went out for dinner tonight and we saved about £12 on food. Also, get tap water and you save so much when it comes to drinks. I also try and find discount codes when shopping online. Using bloggers’ affiliate codes is a great way of doing this and you’re also helping to support the community whilst saving a few pennies! Obviously, treating yourself constantly is going to cut into the bank balance, but I don’t want to end up being a hermit as I try to save for my new place.

3. Set up a savings standing order

Having looked at my incomings and outgoings I’ve set up a standing order so that on pay day a sum of money that I can afford goes directly from my current account into my savings. It’s a surefire way of making sure I’m putting a little aside each month, and then my aim is to top that up as and when I have some spare. Also, the fact that I don’t really see it in my current account means that I won’t miss it.

4. Reward yourself

Skipping a night out that you’d normally spend about £20 on? Put it in a little pot. Finally said no to a few pieces that were in your ASOS basket? Pop that in your pot too. If you’re making a conscious decision to save money then put that money away and see your funds grow before your very eyes.

5. Stick to the basics when it comes to clothes/makeup shopping

I wrote a post last week about how I wanted to spend more money on memories rather than makeup, which has meant that I’ve found my holy grail makeup and skincare products and I’m sticking with them. Makeup is so bloody expensive anyway, so long gone are the days where I browse the counters in Debenhams and leave with a range of unwanted products. I’ve also decided to stick to more “basic” outfit pieces, so I’m buying jeans that can be worn with loads of different tops, or shoes that I know I’ll wear time and time again, rather than a new top or dress that will get worn once. For me, spending less money on clothes is the hardest challenge, but I’m determined to cut back. A home will be worth so much more, of course!

Do you have any money saving tips?

1. Jasmin Charlotte
    February 24, 2018 / 6:03 pm

I definitely need to do the reward yourself thing, that's a fab idea! I'm on a total savings drive at the moment, trying hard to not eat out as much is definitely helping! x

March 1, 2018 / 10:22 am

Thank you – it's a really easy one and it makes you feel better for missing out haha! xx

2. Danielle Alexa
    February 24, 2018 / 8:14 pm

I feel like I spend half of my life searching for discount codes, it is well worth it though!Danielle xxhttp://www.fashionbeautyblog.co.uk/

March 1, 2018 / 10:27 am

It is worth it, definitely! xx

3. Mel Eaglestone
    February 25, 2018 / 4:46 pm

This is fantastic advice, I'm a true advocate of taking your own lunch to workMel ✨http://meleaglestone.co.uk@meleaglestone

March 1, 2018 / 10:29 am

Yes – you save so much! xx

4. Angela
    February 26, 2018 / 10:43 am

I am so bad at saving money. I'll admit that, hahaha! This is some great advice. Especially the take your own food to lunch one! ~ Buying food on the spot is very expensive. I also love the rewarding yourself tip. Might try these in my low-spending-march month I'll be going through! I'm going to set a budget for myself and everything! Thanks for this post <3

March 1, 2018 / 10:30 am

Haha I have gotten much better at it. Good luck for your low spending month – you'll smash it I'm sure! xx

5. Jasmine Lauren
    February 26, 2018 / 6:27 pm

Taking snacks into uni has definitely saved me money, even taking a flask of tea to uni stead of buying one saves me money, it all adds up! Good point about the standing order, will need to do that xxJasmine | http://jasminelaurenfancy.blogspot.co.uk

March 1, 2018 / 10:36 am

It's so much better isn't it! Thanks lovely 🙂 xx

6. Kirsty Teasdale
    February 26, 2018 / 9:35 pm

Great ideas! We’re saving for our wedding at the mo so any money saving tips are v welcome. I try my hardest to take my own lunch to work but sometimes it’s easier just to grab something when I’m there. I’m going to make a conscious effort not to do this now tho! http://www.numbertwentysix@gmail.com

March 1, 2018 / 10:28 am

Ahh amazing – that's an exciting thing to save for! 🙂 xx

March 1, 2018 / 4:36 pm

7. PetiteElliee
    March 1, 2018 / 4:43 pm

This is such a fab post! I am so bad when it comes to saving money!! Love this babe http://www.petiteelliee.com Ellie xx

March 2, 2018 / 11:10 am

Thank you lovely lady! xx

8. Kayla Jayne
    March 18, 2018 / 4:32 pm

Love this post – as someone who is currently trying to save for a mortgage deposit these are some great tips! I recently signed up to a saving-bot called Plum, where it takes small amounts up over the month and saves for you. It's great because although I do have a standing order set up from my current account to my savings, it saves that little bit extra for treats 🙂 Kayla | http://www.daintydweeb.com xo