Changing up your Insta game to suit you.

I wish I was more serious about monitoring my analytics sometimes, because I bet if I looked back to my Instagram stats this time last year, they would be exactly the same. There has been absolutely no movement whatsoever. No growth, no improvement, nada. That’s despite my photography improving (at least I’m happier with it anyway!), being active on the platform while supporting other bloggers/Instagrammers, meeting new people and posting content almost daily. And I know I’m definitely not alone in this.

COAT: TOPSHOP | SHIRT:  SELECT FASHION | SKIRT: MISS SELFRIDGE | HAT: M&S

Instagram used to be my favourite social media platform. I loved catching up on everyone’s snaps at the end of the day. I used to find so much inspiration from it, on places to visit, how to improve my own photography, different clothes and makeup to try out, and how to nail that blogger fave, “the flatlay”. Then, BAM, along came that freaking algorithm and all the fun was just sucked out of Instagram like that.

It’s shit. It’s disheartening when you’re working hard to grow your audience, and I miss out on so many of my favourite bloggers’ snaps because they’re not coming up on my timeline. I just wish that Instagram would bloody listen to its users, but in the mean time I’m going to change up the way I use Instagram and focus on posting what’s right for me.

I want to share more memories. Pictures of people I love and places that I’ve visited, funny friendship selfies and pictures of my family. I want my feed to be more real, a digital photo album that I can look back on in years to come and remember what fun I had.

I want to follow more types of platform, even though it’s almost impossible to keep up with those I do follow already. There are so many amazing platforms out there, and I do feel like I miss out on a lot of them because I’m not following enough people.

I want to utilise my Instagram stories more. I’ve only recently got into this because I always tend to use Snapchat, but I really love seeing the people behind the profile and getting to know the people I follow on a more personal level. I’m intrigued by what people are getting up to on a Saturday night, and I love those funny ramblings so many post. I’m not going to go into full-on vlogging mode, but I want to share a little more of my life on there.

Finally, I want to post for myself. Forget themes and structure, I want to use the platform for essentially what it is; to share visual memories. We don’t know what the future holds for Instagram, maybe the algorithm will be abolished and our Insta-prayers will be answered. Who knows? But here’s to 2018 and a whole new overview for me.

1. Lucy Cole
    January 10, 2018 / 10:32 am

Love this! It is such a pain putting so much effort in but just losing followers. I really want to start using stories more too, although it might not bring in more followers I definitely think it would improve engagement and make people feel like they knew me more!xxLucy | http://www.lucy-cole.co.uk

January 12, 2018 / 8:37 pm

Thank you Lucy! 🙂 It is a shame, I love the platform but it's so annoying 🙁 I've enjoyed starting to use stories more! xx

2. Jasmin Charlotte
    January 10, 2018 / 7:06 pm

This is the best thing to do! Honestly, I've switched mine up totally, I never used to take snaps inside as I thought they wouldn't do well, now I include them all and they are my most popular snaps! (PS I know it's not about the stats but if you wanna see how your accounts changed / grown then you can put your username into social blade) xx

January 12, 2018 / 8:37 pm

Thank you hun – I will take a look at social blade! xx

3. Adele Miner
    January 11, 2018 / 12:03 am

Yep I agree.. instead of gaining followers I now loose them – for every 2 I gain I end up loosing 3, and it is so so disheartening, I just hope instagram gets the hint eventually and returns back to the old algorithm. Well done on your amazing blog by the way, keep up the hard work pretty lady! xadelelydia.blogspot.com

January 12, 2018 / 8:36 pm

Yep you're so right. It's really disheartening. Thank you lovely 🙂 xx

4. Arianne
    January 11, 2018 / 7:34 pm

This is such a nice outfit! Love your jacket :)Feel free to check out my latest post xLOOK LOVE WEAR

January 12, 2018 / 8:35 pm

Thanks lovely xx

5. Layla Sprinkles
    January 12, 2018 / 9:06 am

Ah this is such a lovely post and it's nice to see more people doing things for themselves rather than posting for others. It's all about enjoying yourself when blogging and going on social media so Iook forward to seeing more from you and I hope you have a wonderful year ahead!Layla xxhttp://www.sprinklesofstyle.co.uk

January 12, 2018 / 8:35 pm

Thanks so much lovely 🙂 it definitely is! I hope you have a great year too! xx

6. Heidi Alina
    January 13, 2018 / 11:25 am

I don't follow my follower numbers on Instagram at all anymore. I don't see any grow, just numbers going up and down because that follow/unfollow thing that way too many people are doing. So, I decided to do Instagram just for me. I don't check likes or followers, because those are always the same. I enjoy it a lot more now, after I stopped caring x Heidi ✨ | Heidi’s Planner

January 13, 2018 / 5:42 pm

That's what I plan to do – I want to just post for me. I'm so happy you're enjoying it more 🙂 xx

7. Trouvaille.co
    January 14, 2018 / 5:56 am

Lovely post! I was the same that I started watching my fave bloggers vlogs and they were explaining there feed had to have a theme and whatnot, I definitely prefer it when it's a bit more natural and not planned but each to their own! You have a lovely blog! xx

January 14, 2018 / 8:00 pm

I love having a more natural feed 🙂 Thank you for reading lovely xx

8. Areeba
    January 15, 2018 / 3:26 am

instagram's new algorithm (and that new recommendation feature on my timeline) makes me so sad. it used to be so fun following all my favorite creators and artists but now it feels like instagram is controlling everything and only letting me see what it wants me to see. It's so sad.Not Your Type Blog

9. Nghệ Nhân Trương
    January 26, 2018 / 10:30 am

Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!Giaonhan247 chuyên dịch vụ vận chuyển hàng đi Mỹ, dịch vụ gửi hàng đi úc, vận chuyển gửi hàng đi canada và dịch vụ gửi hàng đi đức uy tín, giá rẻ.