Five ways to beat the January blues.

I’m not going to lie, after what is always a crazy busy build-up to the festive period and then the actual festivities themselves, I look forward to January and the peacefulness that comes with it. I enjoy getting back into routine, switching the carb-tastic Christmas buffets and horrendous hangovers for veggies and a Body Pump class, and putting on my pyjamas instead of my dancing shoes. But I can totally see how the huge contrast between December and January can cause an impact.

January can be long. It’s usually cold, it rains for 99.9% of the time, it’s so bloody windy you can’t step outside without fear of being whisked off your feet (she says as Storm Eleanor is howling outside), and everyone tends to hibernate indoors. BUT it is the next step towards the beauty of springtime, and the quietness allows a time to reflect and refocus, and hello, cosy nights in means a little pamper becomes part of your daily routine. I definitely think you can embrace those January blues, and here’s how…

1. Get outdoors

As I write this the rain is absolutely hammering it down outside. It’s another dull, grey January day and it couldn’t be easier to just sit in bed all day with Netflix for company, but that ain’t gonna boost my mood. In fact, it will make me feel like a lazy sloth, so later I’m gonna wait for a break in the rain, I’m gonna grab my coat and woolly hat, and I’m going to get outside for a stroll. The fresh air really boosts my mood and gives me so much energy.

2. Indulge in some exercise

I love working out, so any time I feel a bit shit I head to the gym, with a new playlist at the ready on Spotify, and I just smash it. I usually love going in the evening after a long day at work; it always helps to rid my head of the day’s stress, but a morning workout is also really effective in setting myself up for the day. January is the perfect time to start a new hobby or join a new gym class. Yes, it can be extremely daunting, but everyone has to start somewhere. That person who is the fittest in the class would have felt nervous at joining a new gym class at some point.

3. Have a digital/home/life detox

Ahh, a cleanse is so good for the mind and soul. Whether you need to overhaul your wardrobe (I once threw out hirty sequin, leopard print, and cleavage-showing dresses that I used to wear when I first started clubbing aged 17. No better way to start your year!), your laptop, your kitchen cupboards or your “friends” list, January is the perfect time to do it. Set yourself a day, get some comfy clothes on, shove your hair up in a pineapple bun and get to it.

4. Enjoy a cosy night in with the gals

Honestly, I don’t think I can look at another flute of prosecco until well into February. Christmas has well and truly ruined me, and I don’t want to suffer with another hangover for a very, veeery long time. Instead of painting the town red this January, I’m going to ask the girls over for some pampering, movies and healthy treats. Waking up feeling fresh will be absolute bliss too!

5. Get planning for 2018

One of my favourite things to do is plan out my new year, in my super sparkly mermaid-esque planner which you can find here. I love being busy and love having plans, so I’m already starting to get some things booked into the diary over the next few weeks. I have my birthday coming up, I’m off on a spa day and I’m trying to convince Dan that a mini-break away in February is a great idea. It doesn’t have to be a massive event or special occasion, mate dates to the cinema or out for coffee work just as well.

1. Victoria
    January 5, 2018 / 10:02 am

I really love January. After Christmas I always need a bit of a rest and I think itโ€™s a good time to recharge and plan for the year ahead. I also find it much easier to avoid eating crap and takeaways, I think itโ€™s the fact itโ€™s quieter so I get more time to cook! Xx

January 5, 2018 / 5:25 pm

I love it too – it's so nice to ease yourself into the new year & to get back in order xx

2. Joanne Amarisa
    January 5, 2018 / 12:34 pm

Omg, what a good post. I totally agree, we tend to forget that exercise does place us in a much better mood! Also I'm in the midst of a tiny social media detox since the start of January and it's indeed been wonderful and had a massive effect on how I spend my days.Lovely, lovely blog!! xJoanne | With Risa: A Lifestyle Blog

January 5, 2018 / 5:26 pm

That's so kind of you – thank you so much ๐Ÿ™‚ I'm enjoying spending less time on social media too xx

3. Abi Street
    January 6, 2018 / 8:59 am

I love this! I absolutely love the calm of January and having clear outs are my favourite. I'm starting to get things booked in throughout the year and it makes me so happy constantly having something to look forward too – we need to get something booked in girl!Abi | abistreetx

January 6, 2018 / 5:04 pm

Yes we definitely do hun! SO nice to have things planned, I totally agree! xx

4. Sharan
    January 6, 2018 / 1:59 pm

Such great tips! Thanks for sharing Xxasplashofsharan.com

January 6, 2018 / 5:06 pm

Thanks for reading ๐Ÿ™‚ xx

5. Julie Ly
    January 7, 2018 / 10:31 pm

This is such a lovely post and I will definitely be using a few of these tips, I definitely need to get outdoors and indulge in some exercise more. xxJuliewww.rainingcake.com

January 8, 2018 / 10:04 pm

Thanks so much lovely ๐Ÿ™‚ It makes such a difference! xx

6. Amanda
    January 9, 2018 / 1:07 pm

I definitely struggle with the January blues so I full support all of these! xxrhymeandribbons.com

January 9, 2018 / 10:08 pm

Thanks hun! xx

7. Narhee
    January 10, 2018 / 1:05 am

Lovely tips!Narhee | Made in Mauve

8. The Makeup Aficionado
    January 10, 2018 / 1:26 am

doing lots of planning has definitely helped me kick any january blues as well as exercising of course. I don't get overly bummed out in january I actually quite like the month as it feels nice knowing you are dealing with a fresh year but it can get overwhelming feeling like there is a whole brand new year ahead of you.www.themakeupaficionado.com

9. by Lauren Jane
    January 16, 2018 / 1:05 pm

Getting outdoors has made such a difference to me. It was one of the only promises I made to myself this year. I've had two trips away in Yorkshire including long walks. It does so much good for the mind :)Lauren xx – bylaurenjane