Lifestyle | Completing my MA Journalism and saying goodbye to education.

I’VE DONE IT! After weeks of stress, several breakdowns, lots of tears, and late nights at my kitchen table spent typing, proof reading and researching, I have handed in my dissertation and completed my Masters Degree in Journalism at Cardiff University. Without a doubt, it has been one of the most difficult, stressful years of my entire life, but it’s been a year of learning, new experiences and growing as a person, both in terms of ambition and confidence, and I’m so so glad I’ve done it.

In just one year I’ve learned more about myself than I ever imagined. I’ve learned I am confident, I’m not scared to go out and grab opportunities with both hands. I always knew I was hardworking, but I’ve learned I am seriously determined when it comes to achieving my goals. I’ve launched a new home and lifestyle magazine, created a Welsh travel website complete with business proposal, interned at two of the UK’s leading women’s magazines, volunteered at the PPA Festival (where I saw Lily Cole and Vogue‘s Alexandra Shulman!). I’ve seen my writing and photography skills come on in leaps and bounds. I’ve realised I have a love for marketing, web design and digital media, and I am more excited than ever to carve a career for myself in the journalism industry.

And now, it’s all over. I’m no longer a student and it’s time to pop the tiny, protective educational bubble that I’ve lived in for the last 20 years, and embrace the big, wide world in all its glory. As clichΓ© as this sounds, today is the start of a brand new chapter in my life, and while it’s really exciting, it’s also kinda scary. I’ve never not been a student before. I’ve always had a university semester or a new school term to look forward to. Today, I’m looking forward to my trip to Rhodes next week, and then I have no plan of action for the weeks to come. I don’t know where I’m going to be working, where I’m going to live, what I’ll be doing with my life in a week, month or a year’s time. But that’s the beauty of it, and I’m starting to accept that. I’ve always been one of these people who has to have a plan, and for the first time in my life I don’t, and there’s actually nothing wrong with that.

So for now I’m going to take every day as it comes, tip toeing into graduate life by enjoying some much needed time with my friends, family and boyfriend, who I’ve hardly seen thanks to constant deadlines and assignments over the past year. I’m going to work on improving my blog, with a new design and interesting, exciting posts for you all to read. I’m also going to start slowly, but surely, applying for jobs and internships in the hope that I can leave retail life behind and take steps to pursue my dream career. But first, it’s holiday time and, boy, I cannot wait to lie on a sun lounger and eat copious amounts of Greek cuisine without a care in the world.

A massive thank you to everyone who has supported me this past year. My parents, family and Dan have been so incredible, dealing with my stress and putting up with my life revolving around university work. My closest friends have supported me by always being there when I need a moan or am in need of a few drinks after a hectic week. And, of course, those who read and support my blog have been so kind, and have really helped inspire me to keep blogging amidst all the chaos!

Here’s to the next chapter.

I’m really excited for what’s to come!

Lots of love,

Jessie. xoxo

Twitter | Instagram | Bloglovin’

1. Kate
    September 9, 2016 / 8:00 am

Wow, congratulations on a fantastic achievement! Hope you enjoy your holiday – you've clearly earned it! As for what comes next, sounds like the world is your oyster right now! xKate Louise Blogs

September 9, 2016 / 8:23 pm

Thanks so much lovely! I'm really excited to head off xx

2. Parie Joshi
    September 9, 2016 / 8:43 am

Congratulations on your MA! That is amazing!Parie xclassandglitter.com

September 9, 2016 / 8:24 pm

3. Elena from Loovelle
    September 9, 2016 / 10:09 am

oh my god, congrats! i have to say, i never liked uni a lot but now that my last year is creeping up on me i don't want it to end. studying law in germany is really hard but so worth it.β₯loovelle.blogspot.com

September 9, 2016 / 8:25 pm

Thank you! πŸ™‚ I was quite similar.. I'm so sad it's over now though haha. I bet it's hard but what a great experience! xx

4. Regina (mybeautymusings)
    September 9, 2016 / 10:52 am

Woo hoo!! Congrats!! This is an amazing accomplishment! πŸ™‚ xoxoReginahttp://mybeautymusings.com

September 9, 2016 / 8:25 pm

Thank you Regina! πŸ™‚ xx

September 9, 2016 / 8:25 pm

Thank you lovely – I can't wait! xx

5. Gemma Magpie
    September 9, 2016 / 6:37 pm

Such huge congratulations, you must be so proud of yourself! xx Gemma β™‘ Miss Makeup Magpie

September 9, 2016 / 8:25 pm

Thanks so much Gemma! xx

6. WineAnd Whine
    September 9, 2016 / 6:48 pm

I am currently at the point of choosing whether or not to go to university to pursue a career in journalism; i dont really want to but feel it is the forced route xhttps://wineandwhine99.wordpress.com/

September 9, 2016 / 8:23 pm

I absolutely loved it! I had always wanted to go to uni but there are lots of other options if you do not want to go to university xx

7. Shannon Boyce
    September 9, 2016 / 9:17 pm

Ahh, that is amazing! Congratulations! It's amazing what you have accomplished. Wishing you all the best. Just think of all the incredible things that await you <3the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

September 10, 2016 / 7:10 am

Thank you so so much Shannon! xx

8. Hannah Walter
    September 10, 2016 / 10:19 am

Congratulations!! I hope you have the most fantastic break in Greece, and when you come back I wish you all the best in finding your dream job! Always love reading your posts, and am excited to read some more soon!Suitcase and Sandals Blog XX

September 13, 2016 / 9:05 pm

Thank you so much lovely! πŸ™‚ That's really made my day! xx

9. Tasmin Lofthouse
    September 12, 2016 / 8:58 pm

CONGRATULATIONS! Honestly, your success is so well-deserved lovely! It sounds like you really have done everything in your power to make the most out of your Masters. I am seriously it awe at how much you have achieved…though I don't know why, I always knew you'd do amazingly! I have every faith that the next chapter will be just as wonderful for you and have the most amazing, relaxing time in Rhodes!xxTasmin | http://grandiosedays.blogspot.co.uk

September 13, 2016 / 9:05 pm

Aw Tasmin you really have made me smile – thank you so so much! :'))) You've always been such a huge supporter of my blog and I love you for that! xx

10. SuburbanGent
    September 13, 2016 / 9:51 am

Wow! A masters is a HUGE achievement, a massive congratulations! What did you end up doing your thesis on?

September 13, 2016 / 9:06 pm

Thank you so much πŸ™‚ I did a business proposal for a new Welsh travel magazine. xx

11. Diana Maria
    September 14, 2016 / 4:09 pm

Congratulations on this amazing achievement! I too am looking to study in journalism, after graduating from a BA in English over a year ago. Writing is such an amazing gift to have and to share that I feel can make such a difference in life. It was scary leaving that bubble after graduation, but it's such a rewarding feeling to live life and have such freedom. I wish you all the best as I'm sure you'll go out there and crush your goals Jessie! Congrats again!My Lovelier Days

September 22, 2016 / 8:33 pm

This comment was so needed right now. Thank you so much for your kind words! xx

November 5, 2016 / 11:57 am

Thank you so much! xx

12. Josephine Beth
    October 24, 2016 / 11:04 am

I just recently found your blog and I absolutely love it!, I'm in year 13 and want to study journalism in uni, I was wondering how you chose and why you chose Cardiff out of all the unis? As well as when it comes to internships when did you start and how did you get the internship and how did you find out about the vacant internships? X

• Josephine Beth
      October 24, 2016 / 11:05 am

Also congratulations! On everything! X

November 5, 2016 / 11:59 am

Hi lovely, so sorry I've just seen this. Thank you for your comment πŸ™‚ I chose Cardiff firstly because it was closest to home, and secondly because it is one of the best journalism schools in the country. It's fantastic for providing a grounding for the industry. As for internships, I just wrote to editors and applied for them and have been lucky enough to be recommended for two others. It's all about who you know. Best of luck and feel free to email or tweet me for a faster response if you have any queries xx